Saturday, July 29, 2006

Fifty minus 17 equals a whole lot of reading to be done

My New Year's Resolution this year was to read fifty books. I thought it was reasonable. If I spent a half an hour to an hour a day reading, plus time spent on airplanes and in airports, I could do it.

But then we decided to move.

That means I've finished just 17 books so far, the latest being John Updike's latest, The Terrorist, which I definitely recommend. It may not be his best work ever, but it's a fine insight into the mind of a young Muslim who decides it's time to meet Allah.

So it's almost August and I still need to read 33 books to reach my goal. I knew it was ambitious to begin with, since that's practically a book a week and I don't tend to read short books. That said, I'm currently reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's latest, the barely-over-100-pages Memories of My Melancholy Whores.

I still think I can do this, even though it means I have just 22 weeks left to do it. We're going on a cruise soon, so there's some airport/airplane time, plus maybe some time on a deck chair. And I've been better lately about taking time during the day to read, instead of just trying to read at night. Reading at night inevitably leads to dozing off while reading, which doesn't help matters. And I'm going to make a big effort to go to the local used bookstore, sit in one of the comfy chairs there for an hour or so, and read, once a week.

I've read more than 50 books in a year bunches of times, but never since I was a kid and my books were way shorter than they are now. And it's not like I don't have the unread books to do it. I just have to stop trying to read 300-500 page books all the time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?